Wednesday 30 November 2011

Day 10. Odiya Bhajans.


Gone are the days when some spiritual based programme and bhajans were telecasted in DD Odiya .Those bhajans were very ascetic and one can be in complete contemplation by listening to that music as well as lyrics. But today when I switched on my TV, I saw my Krishna dancing disco. I was astounded. How Doordarshan can telecast such type of bhajans??? How Krishna can dance such odd steps?? No Tabla in music composition. The whole song was composed with Octapad and other pop song instruments. And as far as lyrics is concerned….It’s better not to discuss about it. Somehow the lyricist had managed to make it a poem. Otherwise it was hardly a song.
Is this the impact of commercialization or westernization??? Though there is a severe impact of westernization in our spiritual music industry but it had not affected the Hindi bhajans. ‘Times spiritual music’ is giving some awesome bhajans to the market each and every year.  But in Odiya bhajans industry some short of transformation occurred. To be very frank, I don’t want to listen any contemporary Odiya bhajans. The music as well as lyrics are not able to create any spiritual sense. They are just for entertainment and nothing else. Last Monday I went a saloon for trimming my hairs .It was about 7:45 am .The barber was playing one Odiya bhajan in his saloon.  I didn’t have a decibel meter but I guess the sound must be around 60-70 decibel or more. Whatever it may be but he told bravely that he had given maximum sound to show his intensity of devotion.  Can devotion be measured?? I have read so many spiritual books and nowhere god told to use high decibel speakers for his remembrance. I asked him:”why have you given so much sound?” and he replied: “It gives me energy. Higher the speed of the music, faster my hand will move on your head.” I thought if he would have been playing one slow song at that time then I would have returned home after 2 hrs. Anyhow god saved me…
My blog has very less readers. So here I can’t request Odiya music producers to create some good bhajans. But one thing I can do is wish.. Yes, I wish some good Odiya bhajans to come in future. Our music culture is different. Our Indian classical music is best among any form of music in the planet. If Odiya bhajans can be composed using the classical versions of the music then our bhajans will also be the best. Music composition is only a part. Of course.. good lyric is also indispensable. Let’s hope for the best….:)J

Have a nice day..

Truly yours

JGD
4:15pm(as per my office clock)
30/11/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment